Wednesday 15 May 2013

An Inspiring School Visit - King Henry VIII School, Coventry

I've now done several author visits to King Henry VIII School, Coventry and I always have a great time there. Last week I spoke to a big group of Year 7s - a wonderful, enthusiastic crowd, many of whom clearly love books and reading. They had lots of well-thought out questions for me, which really made me think. But let me hand over the story of the visit to one of the Year 7s, Onyeari Egbuji, who has done a lovely write-up of my visit.

In Onyeari's words:



ROSALIE WARREN’S VISIT
On Wednesday 8th May, Rosalie Warren, a local author, visited our school. She did numerous talks to pupils in Year 7, while advertising her latest book: ‘Coping with Chloe’. She told us what it was like to really be an author and how hard it is to have a book published. We learnt about the stress, emotion, frustration and happiness that goes in to writing a book, which includes writing a book, finding a publisher, editing, choosing a cover and actually having it sold in shops. She told us how she was inspired to write ‘Coping with Chloe’ and how she came across the idea of using twins
   She read us a chapter of her amazing book, ‘Coping with Chloe’, making almost everyone want to know what happened next. Then she said whoever came up with the best question would win a free book. We were all trying to think of a great question to ask her. She answered questions such as, ‘What is your favourite book?’ and ’What is your favourite library?’ I asked her, “Out of all the books you have ever written, which one has been the emotional and the hardest to write because it was personal to you?” She said that she cried a few times while writing ‘Coping with Chloe’. We had a lot of fun listening to her answers. Luckily I was the winner, and won a free book. I can’t wait to read it…   


----------

Thank you so much, Onyeari. Your question was a very good one and deserved to win the prize. It really made me think.

Here's a photo of Onyeari and me, with her prize:




 And here's a picture of me with some of the Year 7s:


Thank you all for making me so welcome and to librarian Mrs Kirsty Kinmond for organising my visit. Good luck, all of you, with your reading, writing and everything else. And to all you budding young authors - keep at it!


Best wishes,
Ros



Follow me on Twitter @Ros_Warren   
 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It's always good to know that you can inspire the next generation of readers and authors

Rosalie Warren said...

Certainly is - thanks, Joe. I am very encouraged by the number of young people I've met who are enthusiastic readers and aspiring writers. The future of literature is looking bright but we need good libraries to inspire them!

Rosemary Gemmell said...

I love that post, Rosalie - and what a great write-up! I've been judging a competition for schools through our writing group and the standard was really high.

Rosalie Warren said...

Thanks, Rosemary. It's so good to hear of competitions for young writers.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely idea to have a write up by one of the pupils! Must be very gratifying, Rosalie.

marion

Rosalie Warren said...

Thank you, Marion.