Monday 16 April 2012

Hospital Radio is Great!



 I remember, way, way back, being in hospital after a road accident with an injured leg. All that I could find to listen to on the hospital radio set were the results of the General Election (I'm not telling you which year!) as they came in. These days, I might find that more interesting, but back then, in my teens, I couldn't care less about politics. But (for those of you who remember Margaret Thatcher), there was no alternative...

My mother used to tell me how, the day after I was born, she tried to listen to the radio and - same thing - all that was on were General Election results. Probably not ideal when you've just spent (according to her) a million hours in labour and need a bit of light relief.

So how fabulous that nowadays so many hospitals have their own radio stations to entertain the patients. Coventry Hospital Radio is having its 40th anniversary this year... and all sorts of celebrations are afoot. I had the privilege, on Saturday morning, to go into their studio, up on the 5th floor of Coventry University Hospital in Walsgrave, Coventry, and chat with the brilliant prizewinning host and DJ, Neil Wilkes, about books, libraries, writing, e-publishing and all sorts of other things.

I enjoyed it so much I almost forgot I was being interviewed for radio. I was worried I had waffled a bit, but Neil kindly assured me that I didn't. I mentioned the new e-version of Charity's Child and the joys (and challenges) of e-publishing. We talked about how sad it is that so many local libraries are closing, and how we all need to support them more. And I mentioned my new project of turning Coping with Chloe into a play.

So thank you, Neil, for having me on your Saturday morning show.  It was great fun and well worth getting up early for.

You can read more about Coventry Hospital Radio on the Facebook page here. Please 'like' and share with your friends.

Best wishes,
Ros


7 comments:

Steven Chapman said...

Wow, what a great opportunity! You’re a braver person than I. I’d be a nervous wreck on the radio! Well done, Ros! :D

Rosalie Warren said...

Hi Steve. Not so scary as you might think. Felt like a cosy chat! Try where you live... I bet they'd love to interview you.

Neil Wilkes said...

If not Steve - get in touch with me i'll chat to you over the phone if you cant make it in!

Thanks for the kind words and mention Rosalie - it was a delight! And I'll be in touch about you popping back later in the year! - Good with the script!!

Coventry Hospital Radio said...

Thanks for supporting us in our 40th Year! Very interesting chat and youre right you do sound like youre having a relaxed chat! Thanks again!

Rosalie Warren said...

Thanks, Neil. Go for it, Steve.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Sounds a wonderful opportunity, Rosalie - and hospital radio is a brilliant resource for patients.

Rosalie Warren said...

Hi Rosemary - yes indeed!